Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Glee is toxic sludge television



I saw a preview today of another Gwenneth Paltrow stint on Glee. Then it hit me like a hangover on Sunday morning. I already knew I had grown to loathe what is now a hodgepodge clip reel of a show that alternates as a steaming pile of studio cash, but now I knew why.

When the show premiered, I loved it (I'm an a cappella nerd, it totally made sense!). It went wrong after the first half of season one, just when the show reached the height of it's creativity and uniqueness. Then it went TANG.

Yes, Tang. We went from fresh squeezed OJ to an instant, saccharine, mass-marketed lesser copy of something great. The difference being that Glee is now produced for instant gratification only.

People like Gwenneth? Let's create a story line that barely makes sense and include popular songs that have no coherent connectivity to a developed narrative and shove the gal in somewhere. Toot sweet!

People like Christmas songs? Quick, get those kids in a recording booth and stuff jungle bells down their pants.

It's all too cash and carry, even for a musical program, which can and probably needs to divert from total seamlessness in a story line for the sake of a catchy tune every so often. Now people congratulate the show and heave a sigh of relief when an episode seems to have a true narrative arc. It's like giving your babysitter a tip for not setting your infant on fire. Stupid.

I never liked Tang, not even 5 Alive. I will not like you Glee, never more and always.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! Ha, just don't tell Caitlin...she still likes the singing. :)

    ReplyDelete